15 killed, 42 injured as ISIS claims responsibility for attack in Afghanistan

Larry Hoffman
May 14, 2018

(G.N.S) DT.13 At least 6 people have been killed and almost 20 others injured in a suicide attack in Nangarhar's Jalalabad City on Sunday, reported TOLO News.

A gun battle ensued between Afghan security officials and the militants, according to Al Jazeera.

The Islamic State group claimed it carried out the attack, in a statement from its Amaq propaganda agency.

The attack, in a busy area of the city with many other official buildings nearby, is the latest in a series that have killed and wounded hundreds in Afghanistan this year and put heavy pressure on the Western-backed government of President Ashraf Ghani. The battle took place inside a building which houses the state accounts office. Witnesses said the explosions had caused carnage among passers-by.

The body of a policeman and eight civilians, including the three finance department employees, along with 36 wounded people had been brought to hospitals in Jalalabad, said Najibullah Kamawal, director of the city health department.

The assault comes days after suicide bombers and gunmen launched apparently coordinated attacks on two Kabul police stations Wednesday, killing at least ten people. However, the Taliban is now taking part in its annual spring offensive and has launched a number of attacks in recent weeks.

The provincial governor's spokesman also added that the security forces managed to rescue at least forty two people, including civilians and government workers.

There's also been heightened security fears around preparations for the elections in October.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER