Thailand cave rescue: First boys rescued from trapped soccer team

Larry Hoffman
July 11, 2018

Rescuers in Thailand retrieved four of the 12 boys who have been trapped with their soccer coach in a cave for two weeks in the first phase of an operation that could take days.

On Sunday night, Thai navy SEALs posted a celebratory note on their Facebook page, saying: "Have sweet dreams everyone".

Videos showed Musk's team testing the metallic pod in an LA-area high school swimming pool. To get a sense of the overwhelming global interest in the effort, the post attracted tens of thousands of likes and more than 10,000 comments within an hour.

As of Monday morning, eight boys and their coach remained in the cave where they have been trapped by floods since June 23. Now, it could take up to four days to rescue the rest of the team and their coach, weather permitting.

Less than an hour earlier, an ambulance with flashing lights had left the cave complex, hours after the start of the second phase of an operation to rescue the soccer team.

Night's relatives have said they believe the group went to the cave to celebrate his 16th birthday after a Saturday football practice and got caught as heavy rains caused the water inside the cave to suddenly rise. Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days.

He added doctors assessed they were "very fit physically and mentally..."

According to a document released by the Thai authorities, two divers will accompany each of the teenagers - who are being brought out in groups.

"The boys' strength, the plan - today we are ready like before".

The governor explained that a re-evaluation of the boys' situation had led the rescue authorities to conclude that they could not stay in the cave throughout the monsoon season.

".I can't give you an exact number but it should be more than 10 hours but not exceeding 20 hours".

Narongsak said Sunday two divers would escort each of the boys out of the cave. All the boys were in good condition, Narongsak said.

One former Navy Seal died trying to help rescue 12 boys and their coach who have been trapped in a cave for almost two weeks - highlighting the inherent risks in attempting to move the boys, who are physically weak after days without food and dwindling oxygen supplies.

It was initially thought the first four boys to make the journey would be those in the most resilient physical shape.

Meanwhile, it was also reported that Osatanakorn would be transferred to another province but continue with his role as chief of the rescue mission.

They expected the process to take two or three days.

The other, and perhaps more worrying, was that oxygen levels in the complex were falling close to unsafe levels.

"I'm hoping for good news", he said.

"To all the parents, all the kids are still fine".

The key leg of the rescue is taking the boys from where they have been sheltering and through dark, tight and twisting passageways filled with muddy water and strong currents.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article