The White House Is Already Planning to Block Jim Acosta Again

Larry Hoffman
November 19, 2018

Mr. Acosta replied through his lawyers Sunday, objecting to the White House writing rules now, and then attempting to retroactively apply them to the reporter's behavior during a November 7 press conference.

White House officials have reportedly made it clear to CNN's Jim Acosta that the court-mandated temporary restoration of his press pass will be just that: temporary.

U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly on Friday ruled that Acosta's credentials had to be restored, at least temporarily, because the White House failed to follow due process when they revoked them hours after a contentious press conference on November 7.

The network said, however, that soon after the order was handed down Friday, the White House told Acosta it would reinstate the ban as soon as it expires November 30.

CNN responded to the letter in a statement:The White House is continuing to violate the First and 5th Amendments of the Constitution.

But by reaching out to Acosta now to express their intention to revoke his pass in the coming weeks, the White House is taking a different approach.

On Friday, a judge issued a restraining order, requiring the White House to return Acosta's press credentials "immediately".

In the letter to Acosta, the White House says it "didn't think formal rules for journalists were necessary prior to the CNN reporter's actions".

All of this was detailed by CNN in a progress report filed in court on Monday. The judge also remarked on Acosta "laying hands" on a White House intern, calling the characterization "likely untrue" and "partly based on evidence of questionable accuracy". "President Trump believes strongly in the First Amendment, and a free press and is the most accessible President in modern history. These actions threaten all journalists and news organizations", CNN said.

The press room at the White House, according to Saunders, seats 49 reporters.

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Saunders claims she is working on "standard practices" for reports in an interview on Fox News on Friday. "We're doing that. We're going to write them up right now - it's not a big deal".

It was widely believed earlier on Monday that the White House would again attempt to ban Acosta from the White House after legal threats were exchanged in a series of emails and court filings.

"And if he misbehaves, we'll throw him out, or we'll stop the news conference", Trump added, referring to Acosta.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER