Five teens die in 'escape room' fire during birthday celebration

Larry Hoffman
January 7, 2019

A 26-year-old man caught up in the blaze was yesterday being treated in hospital for burns.

A man was seriously injured by the fire but survived.

The group was celebrating a birthday on Friday.

A faulty heating system appears to have caused a fire at the house where the children died in northern Poland, according to investigators.

It's an interactive game where people pay money to enter a room where they must solve puzzles and riddles in a race against the clock to escape from the locked room.

Lights, flowers and toys are left outside the escape room entertainment site where five teenage girls died in a fire.

Morawiecki also announced a review of more than 1,000 escape rooms or related facilities in Poland to determine whether new regulations are needed.

Officials have said asphyxiation was the probable cause of the deaths, and a gas leak was the most likely cause of the blaze.

Polish officials have shut down 13 escape room sites over safety issues after five teenage girls were killed in a fire.

The bodies of the 15-year-old victims were found at the venue on Friday night, where they had been celebrating one of their birthdays. Regarded as an intellectual challenge, the games are highly popular among teenagers in Poland.

Police secure the scene of the fire in Koszalin, Poland.

It happened in a residential building that is home to an escape room.

"Security was not ensured and that led to the tragedy", Mr Suski said.

Earlier, national fire chief Leszek Suski said Saturday that electrical wiring at the lo cation was makeshift and too close to flammable materials.

Brudzinski ordered fire safety checks to be held at all "Escape Room" locations in Poland.

Polish President Andrzej Duda on Twitter lamented a "devastating tragedy in Koszalin".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER