Oscars to go without host for first time in 30 years

Toby Graves
February 7, 2019

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has confirmed there will be no host for the 2019 Oscars.

The 91st annual Academy Awards will officially forgo a host on Hollywood's biggest night later this month, according to ABC's new entertainment chief Karey Burke, whose network will broadcast the ceremony.

Burke's worries about the host-less February 24 ceremony have vanished as it comes together with a "phenomenal" line-up of presenters, she told a TV critics meeting. "There was an idea that they were going to have the presenters just host the Oscars", she added.

In response to a fan on Twitter, the actor explained that he was the Academy's first choice to host the show this year, but due to filming commitments for his upcoming "Jumanji" sequel, he was unable to follow through with the gig.

The decision arrives almost two months after original host Kevin Hart resigned for his past homophobic tweets.

"I have found that the lack of clarity around the Oscars has kept the Oscars in the conversation and that the mystery has been really compelling. Producers wisely chose to not have a host and to go back to having the presenters and movies be the stars, and that be the best way to keep the show at a brisk three hours". "We all got on board with that". "It no longer does", she said, per Variety, before admitting that she's now confident the alter from tradition will not affect the show negatively. "There are big popular movies being nominated". As relayed by The Hollywood Reporter, she also confirmed that the goal is to keep the show to three hours, which is good news considering last year's event was nearly as long as Gone With The Wind.

"So I just got a call from the Academy, and that call basically said, 'Kevin, apologize for your tweets of old. I passed on the apology". "I've said where the rights and wrongs were". I've done it. I've done it!

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER