Huawei launches new Honor phones, doesn't mention Android

Fredrick Soto
May 22, 2019

Acting on the ban, search giant Google has suspended business with Huawei, which means that the company will immediately lose access to updates to Google's Android operating system and Google apps like Google Play, Gmail and Youtube.

However, the US Commerce Department delayed some of the consequences of that order by 90 days, a decision which will allow Huawei Technologies to acquire American-made goods to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to current handsets.

George Zhao, president of Huawei's youth-focused brand Honor, told hundreds of reporters, bloggers and analysts that he was "really happy to see so many friends" at the event.

The U.S. government has temporarily eased trade restrictions imposed last week on China's Huawei, a move aimed at minimizing disruption for its customers but dismissed by its founder who said the tech firm had prepared for U.S. action.

United States firms could lose up to US$56.3 billion in export sales over five years from stringent export controls on technologies involving Huawei or otherwise, the Information Technology & Innovation Foundation said in a report.

Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei today said in a series of interviews with Chinese state media that the reprieve bore little meaning for the telecom gear maker as it had been making preparations for such a scenario.

American officials say Huawei and other Chinese telecom equipment vendors are a security risk because they beholden to the ruling Communist Party.

If that is not all, Google has one of the highest number of users in the world using its open-source operating system Android.

The same general license also lets Huawei work with USA mobile carriers to maintain existing telecommunication networks inside the the country.

The move to delay the ban on Huawei may follow a familiar script with the Trump administration, which in its attempt to change the U.S.'s trade relations with major economies like China and Europe has often announced restrictions or tariffs only to delay their implementation.

Ren put up a strong front today, reiterating claims that the restrictions will not hurt Huawei's prospects and that no other company will be able to catch up with Huawei in 5G technology in the next two to three years.

"If the ban continues, Huawei will be damaged for sure, particularly in smartphones but also in the data center and networking markets", said Patrick Moorhead of Moor Insights & Strategy.

"The longer-term question is: does this drive Huawei to develop a third mobile platform?" In fact, according to reports, there has been a surge in anti-Apple and anti-US messages posted on Weibo, China's version of Twitter, following the new US-China tensions over Huawei.

Huawei's USA sales collapsed in 2012 after a congressional panel told phone carriers to avoid the company and its smaller Chinese competitor, ZTE Corp., as security threats.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER