Panasonic 'suspends transactions' with Huawei after USA ban

Joshua Bennett
May 24, 2019

British mobile chip designer Arm said it was complying with the USA after the BBC reported it was suspending business with Huawei.

"We're pausing the launch of the new Huawei 5G smartphones coming to market", said a spokesman, adding that EE is working with both the Chinese firm and Google to "make sure we can carry out the right level of testing and quality assurance" for customers.

Arm, which is also owned by Softbank and designs mobile microprocessors that power most of the world's smartphones and tablets, said it "is complying with all of the latest regulations set forth by the USA government".

The Trump administration last week ordered companies to stop selling United States technology to Huawei, calling the company a potential security threat that could use its telecom equipment to spy on other countries.

ALPHABET INC: Google on May 19 suspended the transfer of hardware, software and technical services to Huawei, except what it has made publicly available via open source licensing.

The United States has accused ZTE Corp and Huawei Technologies of working for the Chinese government and has expressed concern their equipment could be used to spy on Americans, allegations the Chinese government and the companies say are baseless. The UK's third largest mobile operator has said only that the device "is yet to receive the necessary certifications", but it's likely similar pressures faced by EE were also behind the decision.

Europe is far from abandoning Huawei, however. "I don't think anyone is unaware of the risks".

Hardt said Germany knows how to manage the risk, and he noted that Germany's decision-making "will be independent of what Mr. Trump does". The company also has several office locations in the US.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel reiterated last week that Huawei technology would not be excluded from the competition.

Other European leaders have taken the same approach, resisting Washington's demands for a ban while emphasising that they are on top of the security threat. According to the company's Chinese website, Panasonic is continuing to supply Huawei as usual.

"That guidance needs to come from them", he said.

"We will closely monitor relevant developments and prepare necessary responses", he said, without elaborating.

"We assure you while we are complying with all USA government requirements, services like Google Play and security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device", it said. "The Huawei CEO, on that at least, isn't telling the American people the truth, nor the world", Pompeo said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER