Trump order clears way for barring Huawei from USA telecommunications networks

Fredrick Soto
May 16, 2019

US officials have said that equipment made by Huawei Technologies Co., a Chinese telecommunications firm, could be used to spy on behalf of the Beijing government.

United States President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday to stop American companies from using telecommunications equipment made by technology firms that pose a national security risk.

Mr Trump had already barred the U.S. government from use of Huawei equipment, but has now extended that to all USA companies.

The executive order would invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which gives the president the authority to regulate commerce in response to a national emergency that threatens the United States.

Arguing that "foreign adversaries are increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology and services" the USA increasingly depends on, Trump's executive order on Wednesday declares an emergency over foreign-designed, developed, manufactured or supplied information and communications technologies.

The order does not specifically name any country or company, but US officials have previously labelled Huawei a "threat".

Washington has told allies not to use Huawei's technology to build new 5G networks because of worries it could be a vehicle for Chinese spying, an accusation the company has denied.

Huawei denies allegations that its gear creates security vulnerabilities.

Ms May fired defence minister Gavin Williamson - one of the cabinet's big critics of China - earlier this month over a leak alleging that her government will allow Huawei to play a limited 5G role.

Washington believes equipment made by Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, the world's third largest smartphone maker, could be used by the Chinese state to spy.

In January, the administration was preparing the action, which could significantly restrict Chinese state-owned telecom companies from operating in the US over national security concerns, people familiar with the matter said at the time.

It's no secret that USA's defense department is having some issues with the Chinese telecommunication giant, Huawei.

Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai said last week he is waiting for the Commerce Department to express views on how to "define the list of companies" that would be prohibited under the FCC proposal. In January 2018, USA carriers shunned Huawei's newly-launched flagship, the Mate 10 Pro.

He also went on to say that the results affecting Huawei's case for supplying telecom equipment would be announced soon.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER