Anthony Joshua triggers Andy Ruiz Jr. rematch clause

Mae Harvey
June 7, 2019

If you're Anthony Joshua though, it was especially embarrassing considering he lost to a 25-1 underdog in Andy Ruiz Jr. over the weekend and lost all of his belts in the process.

Joshua, previously undefeated and fighting for the first time in the United States, was defending his IBF, WBA and WBO titles but was knocked down four times in the fight. Joshua said that he does not mind if that fight takes place in England or in NY.

Ruiz shocked the boxing world at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night, handing Joshua his first professional loss via TKO in the seventh round.

Hearn added that Joshua is focused on getting his heavyweight world titles back and wants revenge later in the year.

"I didn't even ask about a rematch clause because I was so confident I was going to win", he said.

He took the fight with just five weeks' notice after Joshua's original opponent - trash-talking New Yorker Jarrell Miller tested positive for three banned substances. "I have to take my loss like a man; no blaming anyone, no blaming anything".

The 53-year-old tweeted: "I say u can't go to university with your third grade teacher". Parker went on to lose that belt in a unification clash with Joshua in Cardiff previous year.

"They've done a great job for me, not only inside the boxing ring but mainly as a human being". Next up for Wilder is a rematch with Luis Ortiz, who suffered a 10th-round knockout to Wilder in March 2018. He called Joshua a "disgrace" for his loss to Ruiz.

Hearn said the clause had been triggered on Tuesday after talks. Although it may not have been the biggest upset in heavyweight boxing history (Tyson-Douglas still holds that claim), it was arguably the biggest surprise the sport has seen in decades, one which has made Ruiz an overnight sensation. "I'm the one who went in there to perform and my performance didn't go to plan".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER