David Ortiz Airlifted from Dominican Republic to Boston After Shooting

Larry Hoffman
June 12, 2019

Ortiz was transported to Boston on Monday and underwent exploratory surgery late in the evening.

The second surgery lasted until about 1 a.m. ET, according to David Ortiz's media assistant, Leo Lopez, who did not specify what doctors discovered. "Big Papi will be around for a long time".

Tiffany Ortiz thanked the Red Sox owner, John Henry, and his wife, Linda, and the team's management for rallying around her husband. His liver was also damaged. "Lastly, I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support and love that we have received during this incredibly hard time".

ESPN joins the chorus of other well-wishers hoping David Ortiz makes a speedy recovery.

Ortiz started his career in 1997 with the Minnesota Twins, and played for the Red Sox for 14 seasons before retiring in 2016, according to Major League Baseball's website. Leo Ortiz, David's father, told ESPN.com's Enrique Rojas that he was called about the situation, "but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred".

The shooter was set upon by the crowd and beaten up.

The 43-year-old had been in stable condition in intensive care at a Santo Domingo hospital after doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine, according to his spokesman, Leo López.

Ortiz, among the most popular players in Red Sox history, was shot in the back at close range Sunday night as he sat at a streetside bar and lounge in Santo Domingo, the Dominican capital.

Here is surveillance footage from the bar where Ortiz was shot. Ortiz was sitting at an outdoor table at a bar in his hometown of Santo Domingo when two men drove up on a motorcycle.

A witness told the CDN 37 that Ortiz had signing autographs when he was shot in the back and the bullet went through his stomach.

Police have detained multiple suspects, including one who was beat up by some bystanders as he tried to escape the scene. Dominican National Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista gave that account, which was reported in the Chicago Tribune and other major newspapers. He was soon taken into custody by the police. "Orando, nos vemos pronto", former teammate and Red Sox pitching legend Pedro Martinez tweeted.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER